Union Careers
Are you interested in a union job? There are many benefits to joining a labor union, including higher salaries, a pension and better health insurance benefits than those provided by many non-union employers. According the AFL-CIO:
 
Union members earn 26 percent more than their nonunion counterparts.
More than 75 percent of union workers have health benefits. Less than half of nonunion workers have health coverage.
Nearly 70 percent of union workers have a pension. Only 14 percent of nonunion workers have one.
The 10 states where unions are strongest have higher earnings, better health coverage, less crime, more civic participation, less poverty and better schools than the 10 states where union membership is lowest.
FAQ's
College isn't for me, but I still want a good job -- what are my options?
A career in the Trade Unions, through apprenticeship, offers many opportunities for both; a good livelihood, advancement and security. The apprenticeship system has long served as a major source of needed craftsmen, forman and contractors. To assure the successful completion of your apprenticeship and your future advancement in the industry, you will need a high school diploma or GED equivalent, a positive attitude, good coordination and skillful hands. If your Interested in a challenging and well paying job, in a field which offers outlets for creative and artistic abilities then here's some information that we hope will give you the motivation to take the first step on the path to a great career.

What is apprenticeship?
The accepted training for a Union Career is the formal apprenticeship program. The beginning apprentice receives on the job training where he learns all aspects of the work under the guidance of of skilled craftsmen with manipulative training. Formal apprenticeship program is set up under the supervision of the local joint union / employer apprenticeship committee. Beginners are protected by written agreements that specify the time they must put in, what they are paid, and what should be learned. The training period runs for three years and includes on the job training, related class room instruction, and a minimum of worked and classroom hours per year.

What about employment?
The construction trades work in every part of the country with more work being performed in more populous regions. About 80% of these jobs include industrial plants, office buildings, banks, apartment buildings, churches, schools and residential homes. The remaining 20% are employed, for the most part, by institutions such as hotels and hospitals, whose facilities require continuous maintenance. They may be employed directly by the organization on whose premises they work or by contractors who have contracted with the organization to maintain it's building. 

Are there job advancement opportunities?
After you become a Journeyperson you may look forward to advancing to forman, superintendent or cost estimator for a employer or contractor. Additionally, skilled Journeypersons are superintendents of large contract jobs. Many of the most successful contractors are former apprentices.